As always, good news first
Wildfires in WA and most of OR are out and there is no risk of returning to the terrible conditions we endured last month. Fall meteorology is active enough to keep air moving along and prevent a buildup of pollutants.
What to watch for
- Northern CA fires are still burning and an occasional whiff of smoke is still possible. Western WA got a small dose earlier this week, causing Moderate air in some areas.
- Wintertime wood smoke season is coming and while it almost never gets as bad as what we've just been through, temperature inversions and light winds can cause smoke to stagnate. Valley communities are more prone to this and often experience poor air.
- Check if an air quality burn ban has been called for your area (not to be confused with fire safety burn bans).
- We recommend our readers keep an eye on the map at the top of this page. It is automatically updated with measured fine particle pollution data and a two-day forecast, year round.
- This blog also contains resources on how to safeguard your health during polluted periods.
See you in summer 2021!